Paris

Paris
November 2010

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Blog 19: Reflection on Archives Essay

For my archives essay, I went to the archives copied and read all of the articles and statements in chronological order.  After reading everything I had a great understanding of New York and the U.S.A. at the time of the proposed “planned shrinkage.”  I then looked online to broaden my research with different testimonials and accounts of the idea.  Overall the archives helped me learn more than any of my other research.  There were very specific articles that gave me actual statistics regarding the amount of people who lost jobs, how much debt we were in as a city and as a country and other information that was extremely useful while writing this paper.
                The introduction of the archives project gave direct orders of what the essay needed to contain.  While reading all of the information from the archives, I was a little bit confused about what we were writing about.  But after I read the introduction everything made more sense.  Each page had a specific purpose to help develop the paper into a well written research and argumentative paper.  The introduction also helped me to organize my paper better.  I wasn’t sure where all of the information went at first but I divided it up to make sure everything made sense. 
                I believe that the archives paper was much easier than the research paper.  There was only a certain amount of information that we had to be familiar with which made the paper less overwhelming than the research paper.  It also only had be about 4 pages, while the research paper had to be a minimum of 7 pages and required a lot more work.  That being said, I enjoyed writing the research paper a lot more than I enjoyed writing the archives paper.  The research paper was about a movie that I really enjoy called On the Waterfront.   It also happens to be a film that I studied previously with a professor who wrote a book on the film.  Since I am well rehearsed in everything that was involved in the movie, the paper was a lot easier to write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment